How to Add More Sparkle to Your Smile This Summer
With spring in full swing, many of us are looking forward to the summer and enjoying long, lazy days in the sunshine, holidays abroad and special occasions. If you’re preparing for a summer of fun or you’ve got an important event to attend, here are some ways to add some extra sparkle to your smile:
- Focus on oral hygiene: cleaning your teeth thoroughly will do wonders for the look of your smile, as well as your oral health. Devote 2-3 minutes each morning and evening to brushing and add daily flossing to your oral hygiene routine. Brushing helps to remove surface stains and reduces the risk of discolouration. If you can’t get the hang of flossing, try using inter-dental brushes; these small hand-held brushes are designed to clean the cracks between the teeth.
- Watch your diet: staining can be accelerated by eating and drinking certain products, so watch out for food and drinks, which may cause your teeth to lose their sparkle. Examples include coffee, tea, red and white wine and fizzy pop.
- Eat strawberries: strawberries are a summer staple and as well as creating gorgeous desserts and a healthy, delicious snack, they can also help to whiten your smile. The naturally abrasive exterior of the berry helps to remove surface stains, making your teeth look lighter and brighter.
- Visit your dentist for a whitening treatment: tooth whitening is one of the most popular cosmetic treatments in the country and a simple, safe and easy way of making your teeth glow. Many dental clinics, such as The Frederick Dental Clinic, offer in-chair and home whitening treatment, which makes the smile look healthier and more attractive by lightening and whitening the shade of the teeth. Whitening treatment should only be provided by trained dentists, as it is a dental procedure. If you’re looking for a really easy and convenient way of whitening your teeth, why not try home whitening? With this dentist-approved system, you simply wear whitening trays, which look similar to mouth guards, for 6 hours per day for around 10-14 consecutive days; you’ll soon notice that your teeth look whiter and you don’t even need to leave the comfort of home.
- Book a dental hygiene session: you can now book dental hygiene sessions directly without a referral from your dentist and seeing a hygienist has amazing benefits for your oral health, as well as your looks. Dental hygienists provide incredibly powerful cleaning treatments, which not only tackle stubborn plaque and tartar to boost your oral health, but also polish the teeth and remove stains to make your pearly whites shine. It’s advisable to see a dental hygienist once a year. If you have underlying dental issues, such as bad breath or gum disease, your dentist will probably recommend that you see a hygienist more frequently.
- Replace those unsightly metal fillings: if you have highly visible mercury amalgam fillings and you’re looking for a more aesthetically pleasing alternative, visit your dentist and ask them to replace your existing filling with a white filling. White fillings are designed to match the shade of your tooth perfectly so that they cannot be seen when you smile; they are also more environmentally friendly and safer.
- Patch up any chips: even the most minor chip can affect the overall aesthetic of the smile and your confidence. Thankfully, there are some amazing solutions, which can help to restore the beauty of your smile, including cosmetic bonding. Cosmetic bonding is a restorative procedure, which involves using dental composite, a tooth-coloured material, which is also used for white fillings, to carry out repairs to the teeth. Composite can be moulded to repair chips, even out surfaces and improve the shape of individual teeth to create a more attractive, healthier looking aesthetic. Treatment only takes an hour and there is no drilling or needles to worry about.
- Dazzle with veneers: if you’re after an all-out glamorous look this summer, there’s no better way of achieving a dream smile than with a set of beautiful porcelain veneers. Veneers are very fine and light tooth-shaped shells, which are placed on the tooth surface to create a brand new smile; they are very popular with celebrities and can be a useful solution for chipped, worn and stained teeth.