How to care for your hair extensions in winter
Women all over the world wear hair extensions for different reasons. Some to add volume to their hair, and some for colour and to change the texture of their natural hair. Whatever reason you choose to wear hair extensions, it is very important to care for your hair extensions properly to keep them soft, shiny and enable you to use them over and over.
Winter presents new challenges for women who wear hair extensions. Caring for your hair extensions in the winter can be a bit of a challenge. Cold temperatures outside and dry air inside from central heating can leave your extensions dry and brittle, causing unwanted breakage, not to mention the dull look and feel this also causes.
In winter, it is important to deep condition hair extensions to keep them hydrated and healthy. You can achieve this by following these simple steps.
- Always wash your hair extensions with a mild shampoo. Preferably one that is none drying. None drying shampoos are usually free from sodium laureth sulfate. Sodium laureth sulfate is a surfactant or foaming agent that strips the hair of its natural moisture and oils which can exacerbate problems with dry hair.
- Whenever you wash your extensions, always ensure you follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. Look for products that contain nourishing and moisturizing ingredients. These will help to protect your hair from dryness and will also add shine.
- Once a week, or every other week, it is very important to use a deep conditioning treatment or deep conditioning mask on your hair extensions. Deep conditioners usually have moisturizing ingredients and protein to strengthen the hair, increase elasticity and restore shine.
- Use a wide tooth comb or paddle brush to ensure your deep conditioner is evenly distributed throughout your hair. You want to make sure all strands of your hair are covered in your deep conditioning treatment so that all of your hair benefits and results are even throughout your hair.
- When you aren’t wearing your hair extensions, always wash them, deep condition and then store them in an appropriate bag, away from heat and moisture.
One of the best ranges of products for hair extensions are Doctor Cabello hair products. These hair products include sulfate free shampoos, conditioners and deep conditioning hair masks. The deep conditioning hair masks contain softening, moisturizing and strengthening ingredients. They are perfect for your own hair, be it natural, dyed or permed hair.
Hair extensions are an expensive accessory but can be excellent value for money when properly maintained. Keeping them clean and healthy during the winter will ensure they last you the rest of the year.